Frequently Asked Planning Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The following are the Planning Department’s frequently asked questions with their responses and location in the new Zoning Code.

What are the setbacks for patios in the residential zone?
In the R1 zone:
• If attached it must be 5 feet from side and 10 feet from rear property line. Located in Section 3.2-2 Development Standards Table.
• Also, the homeowner's HOA may require review and approval of patio covers and other improvements to homes.

Can I put an RV on the side of my home and can I use my driveway?
• RV’s can be parked in the side or rear yard if they are screened by a fence or wall at least 5’ (five feet) high.
• RV’s can be parked on the street or in the driveway for a period of not more than 72 hours twice a month for purposes of loading or unloading said vehicle. Located in Section 5.8 of the Zoning Code.

What are the setbacks for Pools & spas?
• Minimum setback of 3’ (three feet) from property line and no separation from main dwelling. Located in Section 5.12 of the Zoning Code

How high can I build a decorative iron fence in the front yard?
• 4 feet (four feet)
• Also, please be advised that the homeowner's HOA may require review and approval of fences and other improvements to homes. Located in Section 5.8 of the Zoning Code.

Do I need a special event permit for a block party?
• No, but you need to inquire with Public Works for an encroachment permit. This is a protocol established by the Public Works Department.
• Block parties are in most cases exempt from the requirement to obtain a Temporary Event per Section 1.5.G.5 of the Zoning Code.

Do I need a permit for a garage sale?
• No Planning approval is required, but according to the Municipal Code, Residences are only allowed 3 garage sales per calendar year. No garage sale shall be conducted between the hours of 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. or be conducted for longer than three consecutive days. Located in Municipal Code Section 6.28

I have a home-based business. Can I place a sign in my yard?
• According to Section 5.8.7 of the new Zoning Code (Eastvale Neighborhood Preservation) and Section 4.4.E.11 (Home Occupations). Home occupations can have one sign, maximum of 2 square feet in size and non-illuminated.
• Please be advised that the homeowner's HOA may limit/prohibit signs.

I want to put up a banner for my business.
• With the adoption of the updated Zoning Code, commercial businesses can now display a banner for a grand opening, sale, etc.
• Maximum banner size is 32 square feet.
• One banner is allowed per store frontage.
Located in Section 5.7, Table 5.7-1 of the Zoning Code

Please visit the General Plan page to review the Eastvale General Plan.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer