SCAQMD Wind-Blown Dust Advisory
Valid Thursday October 10, 2019 through Friday October 11, 2019
This advisory is in effect through Friday afternoon. South Coast AQMD will issue an update if additional information becomes available.
A PM10 Dust Advisory is in effect for Thursday, October 10, 2019 through the afternoon of Friday, October 11. Strong Santa Ana winds are impacting the region with wind gusts between 30 – 50 mph being recorded in portions of the basin. As a result, PM10 concentrations have increased, resulting in Very Unhealthy air quality.
Santa Ana winds with gusts over 30 mph are expected to continue throughout Thursday and into Friday morning. Wind speeds will start to decrease throughout the afternoon on Friday. Due to high winds and low humidity, the National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a red flag warning for most areas within the South Coast Air Basin, including the Coachella Valley. The NWS red flag warnings expire on Friday evening. A wind advisory is in effect for portions of Los Angeles and Riverside Counties. For information regarding the NWS advisories and warnings, please visit the NWS Los Angeles/Oxnard (https://www.weather.gov/lox/) and San Diego (https://www.weather.gov/sgx/) websites.
In areas directly impacted by windblown dust: Limit your exposure by remaining indoors with windows and doors closed and avoiding vigorous physical activity.
Overall, PM10 concentrations are expected to be elevated in portions of Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties due to the Santa Ana wind event. Air quality may reach Unhealthy or higher levels in areas directly impacted by dust.
Areas of direct impacts and poor air quality may include portions of:
- Orange County: Northern Orange County (Area 16), Central Orange County (Area 17)
- Riverside County: Corona-Norco (Area 22), Metropolitan Riverside County (Area 23), Perris Valley (Area 24), Lake Elsinore (Area 25), Temecula Valley (Area 26), Anza Valley (Area 27), Hemet-San Jacinto Valley (Area 28), San Gorgonio Pass (Area 29), Coachella Valley (Area 30), East Riverside County (Area 31)
- San Bernardino County: Northwest San Bernardino Valley (Area 32), Southwest San Bernardino Valley (Area 33), Central San Bernardino Valley (Area 34), East San Bernardino Valley (Area 35)
- South Coast AQMD Advisory updates can be found at the following link: http://www.aqmd.gov/advisory
- To subscribe to air quality alerts, advisories and forecasts by email, go to http://AirAlerts.org
- To view current air quality conditions by region in an interactive map, see http://www.aqmd.gov/aqimap
- For real-time air quality information, maps, notifications and health alerts in your area, download our award-winning South Coast AQMD app at: www.aqmd.gov/mobileapp
- Air quality forecasts are available at http://www.aqmd.gov/forecast
- For a map of South Coast AQMD Forecast Areas, see http://www.aqmd.gov/ForecastAreas
For South Coast AQMD Daily Rule 403.1 High Wind Forecasts for the Coachella Valley call (909) 396-2399 or 1-800-CUT-SMOG